Showing Love to the Community of Merced

Mercedians, locals and students both old and new to the community, came out on September 13th to express their love for the city with a little bit of hard work. The event, Love Merced, had people picking up litter, pulling weeds, painting, and other things that needed to done around the community.

More than 1,000 volunteers made their way to this event. A few of these volunteers were some of our own UC Merced peers.

A fourth year Political Science major, Michael Lomio commented, “My fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, helped mobilize approximately 45 volunteers. We made friends with the community, protected the environment, and we all still managed to enjoy our time.”

Huber Munoz, a second year Political Science major, said “Love Merced was a really great experience for me because I was surrounded by people who genuinely care about the city of Merced. It was also a great opportunity as a college student to give back to the community that has become my home for the next three years of my life.”

If you missed the Love Merced event, have no fear! From donating to local charities to showing random acts of kindness to your fellow Mercedians, there are many more opportunities to show your love to the community.

Kimberly Ferguson
Staff Writer
kferguson2@ucmerced.edu