Undocumented Students can find a safe haven here at UC Merced

I never feared going to school. I never feared going to the DMV. I never feared applying for a job.

I am one of the lucky. Unfortunately many students face these fears on a daily basis. Things I took for granted growing up–going on field trips and getting my driver’s license – are simple rights that are denied to students who are undocumented out of fear of deportation.

With the recent upsurge of news coverage in Arizona and other border states, illegal immigrants are being forced to leave their homes and move back to a place, like many undocumented students, they have no collective memory of.

When it comes time to apply to college, many undocumented students have to apply out of state and are not eligible for much of the state and federal aid normally expected to receive. This means that, in addition to paying out of state tuition, students who are undocumented do not qualify for the Pell Grant or any work study programs.

According to the New York Times, “California law AB 540 allows undocumented California students to pay in-state rather than out-of-state tuition.”

University of California, Merced students from the Advocating Law and Education organization took it upon themselves to become the official voice for the UC Merced undocumented students by setting up a scholarship fund.

There are “about 200 students [who are undocumented] here on campus, but there is nowhere they can go to if they need information about what resources or opportunities they can get,” said Luz Sandoval, an Advocating Law and Education member and an undocumented student.

“I want to help undocumented students that are afraid of who they are. And to show these students that they can reach a higher education and succeed in life,” he continued.

Jose ‘Adrian’ Cabello, a graduating Management major, came to the United States with his family documented. Although this year he received his United States Citizenship, there were times when some of his family members were deported to Mexico.

“Marking that I am a citizen on forms has been the biggest change,” Cabello says with a large grin. “One of the reasons why I got my citizenship was to show others that it is possible. I want to be an example to my brother. I encourage everyone to go for it. It’s not as hard as it seems.”

Deanna Burns
Writer
dburns3@ucmerced.edu