No Faults Found in Newest Young Adult Blockbuster

I admit, I was a bit (okay, maybe more that JUST a bit) nervous as I sat in the theater waiting to see The Fault in Our Stars. After all, how could any film adaption live up to the beauty and simplicity author John Green had so expertly woven together in his novel of the same name? I must say, though, that I was pleasantly surprised.

The Fault in Our Stars is the epic tale of Hazel Grace Lancaster (Shailene Woodley), a 16 year old struggling to traverse the complexities of family, friends, love, and terminal cancer. To please both her doctors and parents, she begins to attend a less-than-helpful cancer support group where she meets none other than the charismatic and charming Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort). The two quickly bond and together explore love, loss, and what it means to live rather than merely survive.

Supported by a near perfect cast, director Josh Boone manages to capture both the wry humor and tragedy that made the novel great, while also breathing new life into Green’s characters.

Though this film is lovely, be forewarned. When you see this movie ( because it really shouldn’t be a question of “if”) I highly suggest you “literally” bring a box of tissues, a whole box. You’ll thank me later.

Sierra Williams
Copy Editor
swilliams36@ucmerced.edu