Thoughts on the future events of the Marvel cinematic universe

After having seen every Marvel film released, and Marvel revealing some information, online and at Comic-Con 2014, about the films they have lined up for 2015 and 2016, I have thoughts on what will occur in Marvel’s cinematic universe and what the end result will be: The Avengers 3.

Before I get into any speculation, some guidelines have to be set.

First, I’ll only focus on the most recent films, including Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy since these films set up the events for what is to come in The Avengers 3; the end all for the current universe.

Second, I will not take into account any television series or comics produced recently because Marvel is focusing on two storylines that have already been published.

And finally, there will be spoilers. It’s best to skip to the end if you wish to find out what my idea is, especially if you have missed out on the three aforementioned films.

In Captain America 2, we see the agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D. crumble, Nick Fury disappears, Captain America and Falcon are in search of Bucky Barnes, and Barnes begins to realize who he is. The major takeaway from this film is that all the secrets kept by S.H.I.E.L.D. are released to the public and everyone now knows everything. This is important, so keep it in mind.

In Thor: The Dark World, we find out about a third power gem, the aether (which was given to the Collector at the end of the same film), and in Guardians of the Galaxy we learn about a fourth gem. However, in Guardians we learn more about Thanos and his search for the power gems. If you don’t recall, the first power gem is the Tessaract as seen in The Avengers and the second gem could possibly be found in Loki’s staff, which he used in The Avengers as well.

Now that I have established the clues that lead to my speculation: The Avengers 3 will deal with both the Civil War, and Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.

For those who don’t know, the Civil War is about how the U.S. government mandated that super heroes registered their super-powers. Iron Man led the faction that agreed with the law while Captain America led the opposition, and we can see this happening through the events of The Winter Soldier.

The Infinity Gauntlet is an arc in which Thanos obtains all the power gems and infuses them in a gauntlet that makes him extremely powerful. He attacks Earth and it’s up to The Avengers to save the day. This is the most iconic battle The Avengers ever faced, and something Marvel fans want to see.

I believe that both arcs will be combined because the Civil War will add more pressure for the heroes and give Thanos the opportunity to enter and destroy Earth. It will also bring together every Marvel character, including the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Although this is only speculation, be on the lookout when The Avengers: Age of Ultron comes out because it may only confirm my conclusions.

Adrian Toscano
Managing Editor
atoscano2@ucmerced.edu