UC Merced’s Men’s Soccer team chants “I Believe That We Will Win!” after defeating Embry-Riddle

Starting off the season with an undefeated streak, on Monday September 19th the UC Merced `Men’s Soccer team ended their home game in disappointment. Although the Bobcats scored the first goal, Hope International University came back tying the game, leading into overtime in which HIU scored the winning goal.

Anxious to gain back a win, within two days the UC Merced Men’s Soccer team fought through the midday scorching hot practices in order to prepare for their match against Embry-Riddle on Thursday, September 18th.

At the end of the game it was evident that the burning hot practices were worth it, as the team battled and overcame a very close game. With a very intense tie throughout the game, along with back and forth goals being scored by both teams, the bobcats took the victory and a stunning one at that.

After witnessing a very spine-tingling match and speaking to one of the captains, Andy Galvan said, “Our motivation is to have our championship banner put up in the school gym. That is our ultimate goal and we are hungry for it.”

It is absolutely crucial for these young men to win the championship and be recognized as the first team of UC Merced to win a CalPac. Although it will take strenuous work, this goal is drilled in their minds and hearts, which is what keeps them going.

It will not only take strong effort and dedication out on the field, however, but in their classes as well. When questioned why the busy life of being a student athlete is worth it, goalkeeper Alan Ochoa remarks, “The great feeling of playing the beautiful game of soccer with people you truly care about makes it worth it.”

Behind all of the hard work, practice, sunburns and hectic schedules, there is a lot more these young men are rewarded with than solely the opportunity to gain victories and having a chance at winning the championship.

While discussing the bond these players have with this international sport, midfielder David Esparza expresses, “Through my lifespan I have used soccer as a source to help cope with any problem and simply to defuse any stress I carry. Recently I lost my father and it is by far the toughest thing I have had to experience. Whenever I felt sadness, hate and anger against the world I turned to a soccer ball.”

Undoubtedly, soccer is not only perceived as a game to these athletes, but as a devotion, therapy, and lifestyle.

Stay on track with the schedule at ucmercedbobcats.com and come out to support the UC Merced Men’s Soccer team as we continue to chant on, “I believe that we will win!”—Because I do believe that we will win.

Jessica V. Garcia
Staff Writer
jgarcia64@ucmerced.edu